ADSM-L

Re: TDP FOR SQL DATABASES 5.2

2005-12-01 12:47:36
Subject: Re: TDP FOR SQL DATABASES 5.2
From: Matthew Glanville <matthew.glanville AT KODAK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 12:47:33 -0500
>We have been evaluating this product and have not been able to achieve
the
>necessary performance throughput on the restores we require.  I'd like to
>know if anyone else out there is successfully using this product.

>Environment:

>AIX 5.2  and TSM Server 5.2.4.2
>6 STK 9840 B tape drives, but we always backup directly to a 1 TB disk
pool
>Windows 2003  TSM client 5.3.0.8
>SQL Server 2000 SP3
>Test database 50 GB

>Backup times are 42 minutes and restore times are 73 minutes with 6
>stripes.   Our production databases will be 3 to 4 times bigger than this
>test database.  The TSM buffer is 4096.  The node is non-collocated, but
we
>have tried with collocated.  The best we could do was get the migration
>from disk to "stripe" across 3 volumes.  IBM's recommendation is to go
LAN
>free, but that is not an option at this point.

I am assuming you have gigabit ethernet between the two servers,  if its
100 Mb wow, thats good performance.

Look to your disk write/read speeds in both directions..
What is the 1 TB disk pool?  What is the database disk?  Determine if
write or read speeds to/from them are an issue.
Set up some tests 'ftping' files between the two servers in both
directions.  This could determine if its TSM problem or not.  TSM/TDP
should be able to get at least that performance.  Possibly higher using
multi stream restorations/backups.

Does the windows server have active read/write virus scanning?  if so turn
off, try again.
Is TSM client compression turned on or off?

Also to restore the database SQL has to format the database, then TDP
restores into it.  How much of the 72 minutes is spent during that period?
   When the database gets 4 times bigger, that will be 4 times longer as
well.  Lan free wont fix that.

Matt G.
Eastman Kodak

Laura Mastandrea <lmastand AT CHOOSEBROADSPIRE DOT COM>
12/01/2005 12:04 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
TDP FOR SQL DATABASES 5.2

[...]

Thank you.

DISCLAIMER:
This communication, along with any documents, files or attachments, is
intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain legally
privileged and confidential information. If you are not the intended
copying of any information contained in or attached to this communication
notify the sender immediately and destroy the original communication and
its attachments without reading, printing or saving in any manner. This
communication does not form any contractual obligation on behalf of the
sender or, the sender's employer, or the employer's parent company,
affiliates or subsidiaries.