ADSM-L

Network settings and poor backup performance.

2005-11-30 11:00:35
Subject: Network settings and poor backup performance.
From: Ray Louvier <Ray.Louvier AT HALLIBURTON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:00:06 -0600
Can anyone give the technical reason why auto detect on Server NICs
cause such horrible performance for TSM server backups and restores. We
have our TSM server NIC set to 100MB Full also our switch Port set to
100 Full but we have users with sorted networks such as 1 GB switches
plugged into 100 M wall jacks and travel across several routers., well
you get my meaning. These people or demanding to know why they take 8
days to restore 6 GB. They have their server NIC set to Auto detect,
They have a 1 GB switch that the server and several others are plugged
into because they want hi speed between these servers. But this switch
plugs into a normal 100 meg wall jack to get to our data center. I have
instructed them to put the NIC to 100 Full and possibly move off swith
but they want a technical reason why. They are developers.

This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and
privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review,
use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you are
not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the
intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all
copies of this message.