ADSM-L

Re: 3590 Drive Problem

2005-11-29 20:56:44
Subject: Re: 3590 Drive Problem
From: Bob Booth - UIUC <booth AT UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:56:40 -0600
On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 05:27:10PM -0800, Gerald wrote:
> I have a drive that from AIX lists as available. In TSM when i try to
>
> define a path to the drive I get an "ANR8420E DEFINE PATH: An I/O
>
> error occured while accessing drive DRIVE1." and a "ANS8001I Return
>
> code 15.". Then below is what appears in the AIX error report.

Has this drive ever worked?  If it has been de-cabled, or the lead drive
has been removed, check the cables again.  Make very sure that NONE of the
pins are crossed over.  If any of the ground lines are crossed, or not
making contact, the drive may register (become available), but you won't be
able to do anything with it.  Check the terminators as well, and any place
where the cable may have been disconnected.  Those cables are very easy to
bend pins on!

If it was functioning and quit, and has not been disconnected, you may have
a problem in the interface card pack on the drive.  Also make sure that
the interface you are connected to on the drive says it is online on the
front panel.  You can also rmdev the drive and do a mkdev on it to see if
it comes back.

If all else fails, have your CE run a SCSI wrap test after running card
diags on the drive.

just some thoughts.

bob