ADSM-L

Re: HP itanium and 64-bit support

2005-11-28 09:56:23
Subject: Re: HP itanium and 64-bit support
From: Ruth Mitchell <mitchell AT TC.CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:56:14 -0500
Yiannakis,
Briefly, IA64 (Intel Architecture-64) is a  64-bit processor
architecture jointly developed  by Intel and HP.
It is distinct from and not directly backward compatible with
X86 architectures due to use of a different instruction set known as
EPIC. There's plenty of online reading material at
the HP and Intel sites which I'd encourage you to check out,
since this is kind of off-topic for this discussion list. The important
thing to note is that there are two different 64-bit hardware
architectures,
IA64 and X64. Be aware of this when selecting a 64-bit TSM client.

Others on the list may have different suggestions for your second
question,
but I can see two approaches. The first would be to install SQL Server
2000
and use the existing (and functioning) TDP SQL client for backups.
You can upgrade to SQL Server 2005 later. Or, install SQL Server 2005
and
use SQL's built-in backup capabilities, and then use a BA client to
backup
the flat files. Neither is optimal. You also may just want to call
Tivoli
support for assistance.

Hope this helps.

--Ruth Mitchell