ADSM-L

Re: Mac client and special characters question

2005-11-25 09:42:12
Subject: Re: Mac client and special characters question
From: Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:40:56 +0000
Thanks for that.

I have had a look at the filespaces and as far as the TSM server is
concerned, they are indeed set to "Is Filespace Unicode = NO". So, from
what I have read I have to put an entry in the TSM System Preferences on
the client that sets autofsrename to yes. I also understand that this will
then rename the old fs to something_OLD and then create a new fs.

So does this mean that the entire fs will be backed up again?

and

When it comes to future restores, will I then see both the new unicode fs
and also the *_OLD one? And how does this effect restores, will I have to
select the files I may want from the *_OLD fs and restore them to a
different location (i.e. the new fs)?

I have one more question. On this particular client there are a couple of
filespaces that no longer exist but that I want kept in backup. Will this
process effect those also or just the file spaces being backed up again?

Thanks again

Farren Minns
Solaris System Admin / Oracle DBA
IT - Hosting Services
|-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------|
|   Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU> |

|   Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor |                                           |
|   Manager"                  |                                         To|
|   <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>    |                     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU  |
|                             |                                         cc|
|   25/11/2005 13:21          |                                           |
|                             |                                    Subject|
|         Please respond to   |                     Re: [ADSM-L] Mac      |
|         "ADSM: Dist Stor    |                     client and special    |
|             Manager"        |                     characters question   |
|      <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> |

|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------|

On Nov 25, 2005, at 6:39 AM, Farren Minns wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am seeing strange errors in the log of one of our TSM Mac 5.2.3.12
> clients (recently upgraded from 5.1.5.16. I have already asked a
> question
> on this and got some pointers. I have pinned the problem down to
> the backup
> of special characters but I'm still unsure what the fix for this is
> (if
> any).
>
> Can someone please point me in the right direction.

I presume that the errors are:
  ANS1304W An active backup version could not be found

The TSM 5.2 Macintosh client manual says:
"Beginning with Tivoli Storage Manager version 5.2, the Macintosh
client is Unicode enabled."

Technote 1171487 may pertain, where a client is using Unicode
filenames but the TSM filespace is not Unicode enabled.

Alternately, you may have the more traditional case where a given
file system object name has at one time been a file, and at another
time, a directory, which greatly confuses things. You can perform a
Select in the Backups table to verify this. If so, you may be able to
perform repeated Selective backups to push the bad stuff out as the
retained versions limit is exceeded.

    Richard Sims

The information contained in this e-mail and any subsequent
correspondence is private and confidential and intended solely
for the named recipient(s).  If you are not a named recipient,
you must not copy, distribute, or disseminate the information,
open any attachment, or take any action in reliance on it.  If you
have received the e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete
the e-mail.

Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the
individual sender, unless otherwise stated.  Although this e-mail has
been scanned for viruses you should rely on your own virus check, as
the sender accepts no liability for any damage arising out of any bug
or virus infection.