ADSM-L

Re: Mac client and special characters question

2005-11-25 08:21:57
Subject: Re: Mac client and special characters question
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 08:21:50 -0500
On Nov 25, 2005, at 6:39 AM, Farren Minns wrote:

Hi all

I am seeing strange errors in the log of one of our TSM Mac 5.2.3.12
clients (recently upgraded from 5.1.5.16. I have already asked a
question
on this and got some pointers. I have pinned the problem down to
the backup
of special characters but I'm still unsure what the fix for this is
(if
any).

Can someone please point me in the right direction.

I presume that the errors are:
  ANS1304W An active backup version could not be found

The TSM 5.2 Macintosh client manual says:
"Beginning with Tivoli Storage Manager version 5.2, the Macintosh
client is Unicode enabled."

Technote 1171487 may pertain, where a client is using Unicode
filenames but the TSM filespace is not Unicode enabled.

Alternately, you may have the more traditional case where a given
file system object name has at one time been a file, and at another
time, a directory, which greatly confuses things. You can perform a
Select in the Backups table to verify this. If so, you may be able to
perform repeated Selective backups to push the bad stuff out as the
retained versions limit is exceeded.

    Richard Sims