ADSM-L

Re: TSM Win client DOMAIN statement and unc names

2005-11-19 13:00:36
Subject: Re: TSM Win client DOMAIN statement and unc names
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 11:02:09 -0700
I still think we are having two different discussions, so I will try to
summarize them here. I apologize in advance if this doesn't clarify
things, and in that case, will concede defeat in my ability to write
effectively on the matter.

1) ORIGINAL discussion: The preferences editor displays the available file
systems that you can add to, or remove from, the domain. To see what we
are talking about, start dsm, then select the "Edit/Preferences" menu
item. This brings up the preferences editor, a multi-tabbed dialog. From
there, click on the "Backup" tab. You should see the "Domain for Backup"
section about midway down. This is the area that was in question. The
question was, in so many words, why does the connected network resource
not appear therein. My answer was that it is a bug (more like an
oversight). A network resource does not need a drive letter in order to be
accessed by TSM or other applications, so there is no real reason for the
preferences editor to limit what is displayed just because there is no
drive letter. In fact, if you define a local share, you will see that
share appear in the list of available file systems, even if it is not
currently mapped to a drive letter. Again, this is all with regard to the
preferences editor, not the backup function of the GUI.

2) YOUR point re: "Network", which was not a part of the original post or
my original response: This is not in the preferences editor, but I assume
you are talking about what you see when you start dsm and click the big
"Backup" button. For the same reasons cited above, there is no reason that
a connected network resource shouldn't appear under "Network". If you can
choose to back it up from the command line interface, then there is not
reason you shouldn't be able to choose to back it up from the GUI as well.
We are in agreement that this has absolutely nothing at all to do with
domain settings.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2005-11-18
22:59:37: