ADSM-L

AW: Backup question - Full and Incremental

2005-11-18 07:14:59
Subject: AW: Backup question - Full and Incremental
From: Salak Juraj <J.Salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:14:07 +0100
Hi Eric!

There is no reason whatsoever not to move data i_n_t_o FROMSTGPOOL (which is
YourTAPEPOOL).

For efficiency reasons,
depending on your HW configuration and usage of your tape drives,
following configuration may, (conditional!) , be of advantage:

- define device class RECLAIM as SEQuential, FILE
 with parameters ESTCAP and MOUNT set so that the resultion size of
 (ESTCAP times MOUNTL)  is at least 10%, better 30%-100% the size of single
tape.

- define disk storage pool e.g. DISKMGR2TAPE based on RECLAIM.

- for DISKMGR2TAPE
  set "next storage pool" to YourTAPEPOOL.
  set LOWmig to zero and HIGHmig to some low value.

- use MOVE DATA or MOVE NODEDATA
        FROMSTG=YourTAPEPOOL TOSTG=DISKMGR2TAPE

On the negative side, this will cost you some temporary disk space, disk access
time, disk bus usage.

btw, you can use the very same DISKMGR2TAPE pool for reclamation purposes of
YourTAPEPOOL,
simply by setting:
 UPDate STG YourTAPEPOOL RECLAIMSTGpool=DISKMGR2TAPE
with the very same effect (*)

hope it helps
regards
Juraj