ADSM-L

Re: Recovery Log Pinned

2005-11-14 05:52:19
Subject: Re: Recovery Log Pinned
From: Leigh Reed <L.Reed AT MDX.AC DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:51:41 +0000
Vince

I'm not sure where you got that reference number from, but my bookmarked
page of Richard's quick facts gives the following references.

IBM Technotes: 1084167; 1105651; 1105830

I have just done a quick check on the IBM website and all 3 of the above
are still available.

I don't know the full specifics of your problem, but generally a
recovery log gets pinned by a long running backup or long running
process. If there are other high db transaction processes occurring at
the same time, this is where your long starts to fill up and the
'concern' starts to set in.

If you have a backup session running over a low bandwidth comms link and
it is currently backing up a large file (ie Exchange database), this
could pin the log. It could also be a session backing up over a 100Mbps
link, but the link is not performing as it should (ie duplex mismatch)
and therefore a large file backup is taking considerably longer and thus
pinning the log. It could also be a process (migration, reclamation)
that is transferring a single large file and it is taking longer than it
should. (ie tape problem causing poor tape throughput).

The command 'show logpinned' should give you the session id or process
id of the offending operation. Cancel the session or process and the log
will drop back down to a manageable amount. If you are unable to cancel
the session or process, cancel any high db transaction processes that
are adding to the log (ie expiration), this could give you breathing
space.

Lastly, if your log is not at the maximum size, you could consider
extending it temporarily to allow the processes/sessions to complete,
without the log filling.

Hope that this is of some use.

Leigh