ADSM-L

Re: Experience wanted with Netapp FAS960 and AIX

2005-11-12 11:27:02
Subject: Re: Experience wanted with Netapp FAS960 and AIX
From: Stef Coene <stef.coene AT DOCUM DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 17:25:53 +0100
On Saturday 12 November 2005 15:47, William Boyer wrote:
> I just inherited a client that uses a Netapp FAS960 fibre attached to an
> AIX TSM server for the DB/LOG and stgpool space. Using the "sanlun show
> lun" command I see that there are 4 paths listed to each LUN going over
> FCS2 and FCS23. I also appears that the multi-pathing software was not
> installed. Looking at the hdisk's assigned to my VG (lsvg -p) shows that
> the hdisks defined to the VG's are evenly split across the FCS2/3 adapters.
> When I run nmon I only see traffic going down FCS3 and the activity I see
> on the hdisks are not the ones that are defined to the VG.
>
> Unfortunately Netapp doesn't allow you very much access to their support
> site unless you are a customer and the doc's I've been able to read aren't
> very helpful. I'm just curious if the NetappLUN drive is somehow
> redirecting the I/O down a "primary" path. I read in the SANPath gude that
> each path is either primary or seconday.
>
> I'm trying to find out if the multipathing software was licensed and just
> not installed, but what I'm seeing is very confusing.
>
> Anyone out there with some experience with Netapp's and AIX care to share
> some insight??
No, but it it possible that you have multipath software and that's working.
Sometimes there is a primary and a backup path.  So when the primary goes
down, the backup path takes over.  You only see I/O on 1 path.
Sometimes there is a load balancing between all available paths.  So you see
I/O accross all available paths.

Can you post the output of lsdev -Cc disk ?

Stef