ADSM-L

Experience wanted with Netapp FAS960 and AIX

2005-11-12 09:50:16
Subject: Experience wanted with Netapp FAS960 and AIX
From: William Boyer <bjdboyer AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 09:47:03 -0500
I just inherited a client that uses a Netapp FAS960 fibre attached to an AIX
TSM server for the DB/LOG and stgpool space. Using the
"sanlun show lun" command I see that there are 4 paths listed to each LUN going
over FCS2 and FCS23. I also appears that the
multi-pathing software was not installed. Looking at the hdisk's assigned to my
VG (lsvg -p) shows that the hdisks defined to the
VG's are evenly split across the FCS2/3 adapters. When I run nmon I only see
traffic going down FCS3 and the activity I see on the
hdisks are not the ones that are defined to the VG.

Unfortunately Netapp doesn't allow you very much access to their support site
unless you are a customer and the doc's I've been able
to read aren't very helpful. I'm just curious if the NetappLUN drive is somehow
redirecting the I/O down a "primary" path. I read in
the SANPath gude that each path is either primary or seconday.

I'm trying to find out if the multipathing software was licensed and just not
installed, but what I'm seeing is very confusing.

Anyone out there with some experience with Netapp's and AIX care to share some
insight??

Bill Boyer
"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional" - ??