ADSM-L

Re: mvs backup client?

2005-11-10 17:20:45
Subject: Re: mvs backup client?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 17:19:46 -0500
MVS/OS390/ZOS  "legacy" filesystems (VSAM, sequential, PDS, etc.) can
only be backed up by mainframe backup software.
The catalog/vtoc structure on mainframes is too different from the
directory based structure on open file systems,
open/distributed systems backup software doesn't understand it.  And the
mainframe backup software doesn't understand the open/ distributed
systems.

IBM has a mainframe backup product, DFHSM (which you'll find works a
whole lot like TSM!).