ADSM-L

ITSM on SVC

2005-11-07 15:51:16
Subject: ITSM on SVC
From: Mahesh Tailor <MTailor AT CARILION DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 15:35:44 -0500
Just wanted to share boost in performance we've had at our site.  We run
ITSM on an [old] pSeries 6M1 machine running AIX 5.2.0.6 and ITSM
5.2.6.2.

We recently installed the IBM SVC product on our SAN.  On the backend
we have IBM DS4100's, IBM DS4300's and an IBM DS8000.  The DS8000 has
only partially provisioned through the SVC.  I moved my DBV's, LOGV's,
and disk storage pools to storage presented by the SVC.

Since the move . . .

- full 42GB DB expiration [expire inventory]: down from 6-8 hours [at
99.12% cache hit] to 83-minutes [99.27% cache hit]
- drives that went to 100% utilization [via topas display] during
backups are down to 17% [max] utilization (DS4100 - SATA)
- ITSM start/restart: down from 4.5 minutes to 35 seconds.

In our initial setup, we had the DB and DBC volumes both on DS4300's;
we saw the same performance in this configuration.  Subsequently, we
moved the DB from the DS4300 to the DS8100 via the SVC and we saw zero
impact on the running ITSM; infact we had expirations running during the
time the data was being moved.

Additionally, during the same storage "reorg" we went from a stand
alone system to an HACMP cluster.  With the various ITSM storage
components now available through the SVC, we are able to fallover within
90 seconds from the primary node to the secondary node.

Hope this helps anyone in their storage decisions; at least for ITSM.
:-)

Mahesh