ADSM-L

Re: TSM restore question

2005-11-05 11:01:27
Subject: Re: TSM restore question
From: len boyle <len.boyle AT SAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 11:00:56 -0500
Hello Andy,

One of the good points with the command line interface is that one can
redirect the output to a file, for review after the command is finished. No
matter how the command finishes. Of course I have run into problems with the
command prompting for input, it did not output the prompt to the screen and
the redirected file. I do not enought about windows internals, to know if
this is possible. Or if a windows program can even know that it's output is
redirected.

This would be with windows as the script command could be used on unix to
redirect the logging info and write it to the console at the same time.

A couple of questions.

1) Could one use the filelist option to enable Eric to do what he wanted?

2) The Gui restore is a very usefull tool. But unless I missed something, it
has one missing feature that would be very very helpfull. It  would be
helpful if the logging info could be also written out to a file. Then the
logging info, both error and non-error messages could be viewed after the
command is exited. No matter if the exit is due to user action or an
abend/fault of the client or o/s.
Unless this feature is now available and I missed it, is this something the
client team is thinking about adding?

3) Does the client team have any plans to add to the logging feature set,
both with the command line client and the gui?

4) If the filelist option would work. Would it be a reasonable request to
ask to have a restore option, that would not perform the restore, but
generate a list of restore specs that could be added to a filelist to
preform the restore.

I wonder if the new windows scripting tool monad has a function like the
unix script command.

Thanks len