ADSM-L

AW: [ADSM-L] Does subfile backup reduce tape occupancy?

2005-11-04 10:04:18
Subject: AW: [ADSM-L] Does subfile backup reduce tape occupancy?
From: Thomas Rupp <Thomas.Rupp AT ILLWERKE DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 16:03:57 +0100
I just started to use subfile backup and here are my observations:

* it saves a lot of disk/tape space *IF* used correctly
* you should use it for big files that don't change were much - we use it for
Outlook PST files
* Don't use it for a complete file server -  the 1GB limit of the subfilecache
will be reached immediately
(I've reached this limit by miscoding the include.subfile statement)
* Be aware of the "disadvantages" - detecting the changed blocks needs time and
cpu. Restore will take
a bit longer to recreate the original file.

HTH
Thomas