ADSM-L

Re: Re TDP for Lotus Domino (again)

2005-11-03 08:58:04
Subject: Re: Re TDP for Lotus Domino (again)
From: Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 13:56:34 +0000
Hi

I'm sorry, I'm still slightly confused. The problem is that under
incremental backup I am not often seeing the databases backed up. I now
know that if the db is compacted that will change the dbiid and thus it
will be backed up, but is this enough.

My position is this. We do a full backup each weekend, so I'm happy with
this. Each day we do an incremental which apparently doesn't back any
databases up, but we do then back up the transaction logs. So I'm happy
that we can restore from the weekly and then roll forward without too much
trouble.

So can I be happy that things are working as necessary, or should the
database dbiids be changing under other circumstances as well and thus
being backed up during the week also?

I apologise if I'm just being dumb here :-(

Many thanks again

Farren Minns
Solaris System Admin / Oracle DBA
IT - Hosting Services

John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
The Atrium,
Southern Gate,
Chichester,
West Sussex PO19 8SQ.
Tel:  +44 (0) 1243 770406
Fax: +44 (0) 1243 775878
|-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------|
|   Del Hoobler               |                                           |
|   <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>      |

|   Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor |                                         To|
|   Manager"                  |                         [email protected]|
|   <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>    |                         DU

|                             |                                         cc|
|   03/11/2005 12:48          |                                           |
|                             |                                    Subject|
|         Please respond to   |                         Re: [ADSM-L] Re   |
|         "ADSM: Dist Stor    |                         TDP for Lotus     |
|             Manager"        |                         Domino (again)    |
|      <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> |

|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------|

Hi Farren,

The transaction logs are not backed up during a
"domdsmc incremental" command. The transaction logs
are backed up with the "domdsmc archivelog" command.
You are correct that many customers do a "domdsmc selective"
command once a week (or more often, depending on the
amount of log data generated) so that when a
database is recovered, not as many transaction logs
need to be replayed against the restored database.

DBIIDs can change under different circumstances
such as database compaction.

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 11/03/2005
06:40:48 AM: