ADSM-L

Disk->TapeLibrary->Tape strategy & seemingly simple Collocation question

2005-10-28 14:29:02
Subject: Disk->TapeLibrary->Tape strategy & seemingly simple Collocation question
From: Salak Juraj <J.Salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 20:27:59 +0200
Hi all!

I run following storage pool strategy (simplified):

A) Backup to disk storage pool large enough to keep 2-3 day´s backup

B) next storage pool is tape Library counting 60 slots, large enough to keep
very all backup data.
Storage pool has collocation set to filesystem.
There are more filesystems than tape slots so more filesystems are sharing same
tape(s).

This worked like a breeze. Recently, I added:

C) next storage pool to (B).
This  is meant as overflow pool, built upon manual (scsi) library,
cheap  and slow but large enough to keep anything I could potentially need.
It should only be used in exceptional situations, like (B) library overflow or
(B) malfunction.

The idea:
In fact, this is an absolutely zero-cost replacement for high-quality tape
library support contract,
as ist shares the very same tape drives with backup storage pools.
It makes possible for TSM to remain almost fully functional for some days
in case of tape library problem - only
at costs of casual tape intervention and some spare tapes
plus it is overflow area just for the case.

Problem:

>From now on, backups of file systems tend to occupy new tapes on (C) as well
although the (B) is full well below migration levels.

Can I prevent TSM from doing it except by turning collocation at (B) off?
The collocation setting on (C) cannot not solve the problem.
The TSM Server is Windows, 5.2.2.5

best Regards
Juraj Salak, Austria, Ohlsdorf