ADSM-L

Re: Which Copy Group is in use

2005-10-25 18:36:06
Subject: Re: Which Copy Group is in use
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:35:46 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Scott Foley
>I have files available to be restored that, based on the backup copy
>group settings, should no longer be available for restoration.  If I
>assume that my expiration of files is up to date and that I understand
>the file expiration correctly in the copy group, how do I
>track down why those files are listed for restoration?
>
>How can I tell what Policy Domain, Policy Set, Management Class and
>Backup Copy Group are associated with a backed up file?  In the GUI, I
>simply see the Default Management Class listed.
>
>If I back up files, and then change the policy domain or set, and the
>management class associated with those files, will the new settings
>affect the previously backed up files?

Please refer to previous discussions of these subjects in the mailing
list archive .

1. Find which domain a node belongs to by running
      Query NODE <nodename>
If a file has been backed up using the default mgmtclass, look up the
retentions rules for by running
      Query COPY <domain_name> active <default_mgmtclass> standard
Those are the rules for that file. Remember that, unless you employ a
separate mgmtclass for DIRMC, directory entries (as opposed to file
entries) are always preserved under the rules that allow for the longest
retention, not the default mgmtclass.

2. You change the setting for all *active* backups. All *inactive*
backups (from files that have been deleted on the TSM client) are
unaffected by retention rule changes.

IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional
 Tivoli Storage Management Solutions 2005
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert (CATE) AIX
Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627