ADSM-L

disk layout for db and log

2005-10-19 08:07:35
Subject: disk layout for db and log
From: Dirk Kastens <Dirk.Kastens AT UNI-OSNABRUECK DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:52:15 +0200
Hi,

we bought a new IBM @server p5 520 for TSM. The server has 8 internal 70
GB harddisks. hdisk0 and hdisk1 contain the mirrorred rootvg with the
operating system. So we have six disks left for the TSM db and recovery
log. Both shall be mirrored, what makes three disks. What is the best
disk layout? Should we create one big db volume on each of the three
disks plus one big log volume? Maybe
hdisk2: db1 (65 GB) + log1 (4 GB)
hdisk3: db2 (65 GB) + log2 (4 GB)
hdisk4: db3 (65 GB) + log3 (4 GB)
Or should the recovery log be located on a separate disk (what will be a
waste of space)? Shall we create on big db volume on every disk or
several small volumes? Maybe
hdisk2: db1 + db2 + db3 (20 GB) + log1 (10 GB)
hdisk3: db4 + db5 + db6 (20 GB)
hdisk4: db7 + db8 + db9 (20 GB)

Any ideas are welcome.
--
Regards,

Dirk Kastens
Universitaet Osnabrueck, Rechenzentrum (Computer Center)
Albrechtstr. 28, 49069 Osnabrueck, Germany
Tel.: +49-541-969-2347, FAX: -2470