ADSM-L

Re: Determining which side of an optical platter a file is on?

2005-10-18 10:12:15
Subject: Re: Determining which side of an optical platter a file is on?
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:12:01 -0400
==> On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 21:54:31 -0400, Justin Derrick <ADSM AT JUSTINDERRICK
DOT COM> said:

> Good recommendations, but there are some issues with your suggestions...

> Using the MOVE DATA command actually moves the data -- moving it back
> to optical means burning another WORM platter...

WORM; OK, my optical installation was rewritable, and I must have missed where
you mentioned this.  I thought you said something about taking the data out of
TSM, processing it, and then putting it back in.

I'm confused though; if you're worried about the fragility of the current
system, isn't getting the data off the optical one of the goals of the
operation?  Might the 3592 WORM media help you there?  If your access to that
data is sufficiently seldom, you might get away with tape mount latency too,
and then you'd save many squares of floorspace. :)

Our use of the 3995 was not 'occasional', we certainly had many many mounts.
I agree entirely with your evaluation of "put it on disk!".  At one point I
was using optical volumes in a manner similar to that in which most of us use
disk now: I had only 2 tape mount points, I used the my 4 optical mount points
so I could at least get six clients backing up at once.  Shudder.  I was glad
to see that silo go on the loading dock.

- Allen S. Rout