ADSM-L

Re: expiration Oracle backups

2005-10-13 11:49:16
Subject: Re: expiration Oracle backups
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:48:51 -0400
==> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 15:19:53 +0200, Kurt Beyers <Kurt.Beyers AT DOLMEN DOT
BE> said:

> My environment is the following:

> TSM 5.3.2 server on Windows2003
> Sun Solaris 5.8 with Oracle 8.1.7.4 with a TSM BA client 5.3.x and the TDP
> for databases 5.3

> [ ... ]

> But how are the backups made inactive in the TSM database after they have
> been deleted in Oracle? The 'tdposync' tool only works when the metadata is
> stored in a recovery catalog database. And after a forced deletion of the
> backups in RMAN, they do not become inactive in TSM either. How can the
> metadata in the TSM database be synchronized with the metadata in Oracle
> (control file) .

Oracle's delete-obsolete-backups function does not work.  We're chasing this
with Oracle Support right now, and they have confirmed that they have a bug.

Our solution is to periodically switch TSM nodes to which a given Oracle DB is
backing up, and once our recovery period has passed, we discard the old node.

We've lovingly documented the state before and after various operations, so if
you want help proving your case to Oracle, let me know.

Alternately, if you come up with a procedure that zaps stuff, do tell. :)

- Allen S. Rout