ADSM-L

Re: dsmj bug or error in documentation

2005-10-06 18:20:29
Subject: Re: dsmj bug or error in documentation
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 15:20:59 -0700
Mark, thank you for your feedback. Consider it noted.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2005-10-06
14:22:47:

> Andrew,
>
> Thank you for your quick reply.
>
> I have two comments however.  First the documentation should be
> corrected.  README files are great but typically they are only read (if
> at all) when a system is initially installed or for a major update.  For
> day-to-day usage most of us rely on the documentation.  Furthermore,
> with the new paradigm of having the documentation on line I think it is
> reasonable to expect that they make up to date changes in the on line
> documentation.  There is no reason for them to state that dsmj does work
> with virtual nodename and then over ride it in a README file.  I would
> be much more effective to have the on line documentation updated.
>
> The second is why don't the fix dsmj so that it operates at least as
> good as the older dsm version!  This seems like we have taken a step
> backwards in functionality.  In addition we lost the estimate feature as
> well, not that I was a big fan of it but it did come in handy once in a
> while.  Clearly both of these functions could be added into dsmj with
> just a little bit nippling by some Java Junkie.  I sure hope IBM picks
> up on this!
>
> --
> Regards,
> Mark D. Rodriguez
> President MDR Consulting, Inc.

> MDR Consulting
> The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
> IBM Advanced Business Partner
> SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
> IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
> AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
> Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE

> Andrew Raibeck wrote:
>
> >Hi Mark,
> >
> >From the README file:
> >
> >- VIRTUALNODENAME option is ignored for BA Java GUI (dsmj) client
> >
> >  If you need to use VIRTUALNODENAME option, please use the Command
Line