ADSM-L

Re: Tapes unaccounted for???

2005-10-03 10:56:10
Subject: Re: Tapes unaccounted for???
From: Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 15:54:59 +0100
Thanks for that Sean

That's kind of what I expected and our DB volumes expire after five days so
this should be OK. But I think I will keep a close eye on the DB volume
numbers from now on and see if they do end up coming back or not.

Many thanks

Farren Minns
|-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------|
|   Sean M English            |                                           |
|   <senglish AT US.IBM DOT COM>     |

|   Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor |                                         To|
|   Manager"                  |                              ADSM-L AT VM DOT
MAR|
|   <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>    |                              IST.EDU

|                             |                                         cc|
|   03/10/2005 15:49          |                                           |
|                             |                                    Subject|
|         Please respond to   |                              Re: [ADSM-L] |
|         "ADSM: Dist Stor    |                              Tapes        |
|             Manager"        |                              unaccounted  |
|      <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> |                              for???

|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------|

Farren,

I've seen this happen before when the TSM DB tapes get out of sync with
DRM.  Basically, what we do, is once a quarter we perform an audit.  We get
a list from the offsite vendor and compare it to the output from q drm.
Any tapes that are on the offsite vendor's list and not on the q drm list
can be brought back and used as scratch tapes.  What you might want to
check is the DBBACKUP expiration period under q drmstatus and see how long
the TSM DB backup tapes are being kept.  Ideally, if you are doing offsite,
you want DRM to control when your DB tapes expire instead of using the del
volh t=dbbb command.  Hope this helps out.

Sean English

The information contained in this e-mail and any subsequent
correspondence is private and confidential and intended solely
for the named recipient(s).  If you are not a named recipient,
you must not copy, distribute, or disseminate the information,
open any attachment, or take any action in reliance on it.  If you
have received the e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete
the e-mail.

Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the
individual sender, unless otherwise stated.  Although this e-mail has
been scanned for viruses you should rely on your own virus check, as
the sender accepts no liability for any damage arising out of any bug
or virus infection.