ADSM-L

Re: Multiple fillings per node with collocate is group

2005-09-08 08:38:23
Subject: Re: Multiple fillings per node with collocate is group
From: Jim Armstrong <jim_armstrong AT STANDARDLIFE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:36:31 +0100
My understanding is that if TSM is busy dismounting a tape, then gets a
request to migrate more data to that node, it will call for a new scratch
tape, even if the tape it is busy dismounting is not full. The logic is
that it is faster to mount a fresh scratch tape than wait for the tape that
is being dismounted to be returned to its library slot then remounted
again. As you are running migration alongside backups I can see how this
can happen on a frequent basis.

Jim Armstrong
Storage Architect
Standard Life

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |                   "Maurice van 't|
|         |                   Loo"           |
|         |                   <tsm@COMPARECOM|
|         |                   PUTERS.NL>     |
|         |                   Sent by:       |
|         |                   "ADSM: Dist    |
|         |                   Stor Manager"  |
|         |                   <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MARI|
|         |                   ST.EDU>        |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |                   08/09/2005     |
|         |                   13:13          |
|         |                   Please respond |
|         |                   to "ADSM: Dist |
|         |                   Stor Manager"  |
|         |                                  |
|---------+---------------------------------->

From: "Andrew Raibeck" <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>

> What is the storage pool's COLLOCATE value set to?
Collocate = Group

From: "Thorneycroft, Doug" <dthorneycroft AT LACSD DOT ORG>

>Are there also backups running during this period, If the diskpool doesn't
>have enough space, or a client has files that exceed the diskpools
>maxsize then some of your backups could be using the extra tapes.

Backups are running during the whole day, also during migration. And we
migrate (automaticly) during backup.
There is enough space, hi=50%, lo=10%, size=2400GB, we don't get above the
80% during the top backups.
There is no maxsize threshold defined.

From: "Volker Maibaum" <volker.maibaum AT EBERSPAECHER DOT COM>

> I don't think that TSM uses only 1 tape per collocgroup when you have
> set maxpr=3. What if only data of one collocgroup is on the diskpool?
> TSM would waste resources.
> If you turn collocation=none for the tape pool than TSM also uses three
> tapes at a time.

The doc's said that when a migrate starts, it selects a node or group to
migrate (with biggest FS or biggest node in case of colloc.groups) and does
the migration in 1 stream, so it "must" always use 1 tape at the time. (see
page 259 in 5.3 Admin Guide)

---