ADSM-L

Directories going directly to tape

2005-09-07 15:36:33
Subject: Directories going directly to tape
From: fred johanson <fred AT UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 14:36:12 -0500
I have a very large client whose one filespace now exceeds all available
disk space, so the backup goes directly to tape.  The DIRMC option points
to a diskpool.  However, since redirecting the backups to tape, the
directories are going directly to tape too.  That means write the
directories on tape1, dismount tape1 to write backups to tape2, which then
gets dismounted the next new directory discovered, and so on for more hours
than in the day.

As I see it, I could redefine the directory pool to have another disk
copypool instead of tape, or change the DIRMC to be the same as the mgmtc
of the backups.

This is a highly volatile filespace, with many restores during the week, so
which, if either, of my alternatives seems best?

Fred Johanson
ITSM Administrator
University of Chicago
773-702-8464