ADSM-L

Re: restore OU in AD 2003

2005-09-01 21:38:50
Subject: Re: restore OU in AD 2003
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 18:38:35 -0700
As Mark said those versions of TSM won't even allow a systemstate backup.  If
you aren't already I'd start using NT Backup to backup the systemstate, or get
upgraded.

I'd like to point out that you don't use TSM to restore a single OU.  Few
backup products support a recovery directly into AD and Microsoft doesn't
support it. Instead what they support is an Authoritative recovery of a Domain
Controller. Search the MS knowledge base for more details on that.  In a nut
shell you have to first completely recover a Domain controller. Then you run a
command to increase the value on that OU.  This same command can set all
objects to a higher value or just indidual objects.  When you start that Domain
Controller replication will start the other objects will not replicate anywhere
because their values will be same or lower than what is on all the other DC's.
However, the OU that you updated will get replicated out everywhere just as if
you made an update to it on that DC.

Anyway, as you can see this is a reason that many customers purchase some third
party products when they want perform single OU or object level recovery in AD.
 Or, they just recreate the object.

From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Jesse Sanaseros
>Has anyone successfully restored an OU to AD 2003 using TSM Server
>4.1.0.0 and client 4.2.1.0?? I've accidentally deleted a single OU in
>AD 2003. Any help would be appreciated.

SYSTEMSERVICE and SYSTEMSTATE backups for Windows 2003 are not supported
until TSM version 5, IIRC.

IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional
Tivoli Storage Management Solutions 2005
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert (CATE) AIX
Office 262.521.5627