ADSM-L

Re: PMR: 67847,442,000

2005-08-30 11:27:10
Subject: Re: PMR: 67847,442,000
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:26:52 -0400
==> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:04:06 -0400, Nancy Jarin <jarin AT ca.ibm DOT com>
said:

> Hi Allen. I have received an update from the TSM development.

> They agree that LDAP can be used to authenticate users. At the present time,
> the embedded ISC that is installed and configured as part of the TSM
> Administration Center does not have this feature enabled. Since this is the
> first release of the TSM Administration Center it was decided that simple
> authentication would be OK.  It is a goal of TSM to use the LDAP function of
> ISC in the future.

Let me say back to you what I think you've said;

+ It is possible for the ISC to authenticate ISC users against LDAP.

  Where is this documented?  I am eager to use this feature.

+ The TSM admin application provided to be installed in the ISC does not
  currently heed ISC LDAP authentication; but it will, eventually.

  I'll want more details on this, but that will be a different PMR once I get
  LDAP working at all.  But thanks for the heads-up.

+ It is a goal of TSM development to authenticate TSM administrators by making
  use of the ISC, eventually including LDAP.

  I want to be extra sure I understand this, because it means my TSM admin
  users might finally be able to use the same passwords they use everywhere
  else on campus, which would be fantastic.

> If you wish, we can open an enchancement request to speed up that
> decision.

That would be delightful.

Lest I be ambiguous: I consider this response to be dramatically better, more
communicative, and more complete than the previous one, I am much happier with
the prosecution of the PMR now.  Thank you.

I'm also actually pleased with the answer, which is icing on the cake for me.

- Allen S. Rout