ADSM-L

Re: Problem deleting old dbb volhist entries going to file devclass

2005-08-25 16:37:29
Subject: Re: Problem deleting old dbb volhist entries going to file devclass
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:36:57 -0500
Edward,

I would like you to try re-running the command without specifying the
"devclass", i.e:

delete volhist todate=04/30/2005 type=dbb

The "devclass" parameter is superfluous in this case.  Although, it's a
good habit there is no need to quote the date in this command.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE

Pugliese, Edward wrote:

Thanks for the info.  I will have to keep an eye out for that situation
the next time I upgrade.  The Backup Series numbers (405, 409, 410) are
lower than the lowest number of the current backups (574 to 593).  So
that doesn't match your problem.

I guess I should also mention this is an AIX server running AIX5.2ML4
with TSM Server version 5.2.1.3.

The files at the O/S level are not that big that I have to worry about
them.  It was just a situation I came across that was strange and I
couldn't determine a cause after researching as best I could. As a
matter of fact, only /tsm/filelib/12463021.DBB still exists.  It may be
possible that I manually deleted the other two entries when I was
testing, but not likely.  I usually let TSM do the tasks it is supposed
to do instead of manually intervening.  It is too long ago for me to
remember though.   Unfortunately my activity log only goes back 25 days
so I can't search if TSM did anything with the volumes.

Here is the output you requested.

Thanks again for trying.

q devclass FILE_DEVCLASS f=d

            Device Class Name: FILE_DEVCLASS
       Device Access Strategy: Sequential
           Storage Pool Count: 0
                  Device Type: FILE
                       Format: DRIVE
        Est/Max Capacity (MB): 4,096.0
                  Mount Limit: 1
             Mount Wait (min):
        Mount Retention (min):
                 Label Prefix:
                      Library:
                    Directory: /tsm/filelib
                  Server Name:
                 Retry Period:
               Retry Interval:
                       Shared:
Last Update by (administrator): tsmadmin
        Last Update Date/Time: 03/30/05   16:41:03

q volh type=dbb enddate=04/30/2005

      Date/Time: 03/30/05   16:41:09
    Volume Type: BACKUPFULL
  Backup Series: 405