ADSM-L

Re: LTO2 device class with LTO1 tapes!

2005-08-18 04:46:24
Subject: Re: LTO2 device class with LTO1 tapes!
From: Pétur Eyþórsson <petur.e AT NYHERJI DOT IS>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 08:44:25 +0000
Mladen

how do you look at the volumes, if you see them in q libvol, that is to
bee expected, as this shows you all volumes that tsm has access in the
library regardless of there storagepool. but if you see them in your q vol
command then you might have a problem, one solution to this is to define
the LTO gen 2 volumes manually to the storage pool and not have it take
scratch volumes (chance Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed to 0 instead of
50), if you do that you can bee 100% sure that tsm wont take generation 1
tapes to that pool.

Kær kveðja / Best regards,
Pétur Eyþórsson  · Tæknilegur ráðgjafi eServer & Storage · Tivoli Advanced
Storage Solutons Techical Expert
 · MCSE · SNIA Professional  ·  SNIA FC-SAN Practitioner  ·  IBM C AIX S ·
TSM CP · TSRM CP · TASS DP · IBM SAN P
Sími/tel: +354 569-7700 · GSM: +354 863-0560
www.nyherji.is

Mladen <mportak AT RBA DOT HR>
18.08.2005 07:40
Please respond to
"ADSM: nager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] LTO2 device class with LTO1 tapes!

Hi there,

I have 3584 library with mixed drives (4xLTO1 and 2xLTO2) and mixed
tapes. Recently I was created copy pool based on LTO2 tapes. >

Storage Pool Name: OFFSITECOPY
               Storage Pool Type: Copy
               Device Class Name: LTO2
         Estimated Capacity (MB): 25,328,227.2
                        Pct Util: 49.7
                        Pct Migr:
                     Pct Logical: 99.9
                    High Mig Pct:
                     Low Mig Pct:
                 Migration Delay:
              Migration Continue:
             Migration Processes:
               Next Storage Pool:
            Reclaim Storage Pool:
          Maximum Size Threshold:
                          Access: Read/Write
               Overflow Location:
           Cache Migrated Files?:
                      Collocate?: No
           Reclamation Threshold: 50
 Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed: 50
   Delay Period for Volume Reuse: 0 Day(s)
          Migration in Progress?:
            Amount Migrated (MB):
Elapsed Migration Time (seconds):
        Reclamation in Progress?: No
 Volume Being Migrated/Reclaimed:
  Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
           Last Update Date/Time: 08/17/05   20:00:06
        Storage Pool Data Format: Native
            Copy Storage Pool(s):
         Continue Copy on Error?:
                        CRC Data: No

Device Class Name: LTO2
        Device Access Strategy: Sequential
            Storage Pool Count: 4
                   Device Type: LTO
                        Format: ULTRIUM2C
         Est/Max Capacity (MB): 409,600.0
                   Mount Limit: DRIVES
              Mount Wait (min): 60
         Mount Retention (min): 0
                  Label Prefix: ADSM
                       Library: 3584LIB
                     Directory:
                   Server Name:
                  Retry Period:
                Retry Interval:
                        Shared:
            High-level Address:
              Minimum Capacity:
                          WORM: No
               Scaled Capacity:
Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
         Last Update Date/Time: 02/22/05   10:05:52

Everything working fine but if I look at volumes I can see that I have
mixed LTO1 and LTO2 tapes. So my question is what I did wrong? Please if
somebody can answer me I would be very thankful!

Thank's in advance

Mladen Portak