ADSM-L

Re: Disk Pool Volume Configuration

2005-08-17 15:53:59
Subject: Re: Disk Pool Volume Configuration
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:53:19 -0400
100 x 50 = 5,000GB ~ 50.

Our disk based storage pools are based on 16GB volumes.

I would not think there would be a maximum size. The only
consideration would be to make them of a size sufficient to
give you more flexibility in allocating them to multiple storage
pools.

Our NT archive pool is small, AIX archive mid size, and NT and AIX
backup pools
larger. So each has different numbers of disk based volumes assigned.

>>> joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM 08/17/2005 3:39:22 PM >>>
Lawrence,

What size TSM storage pool volumes do you create?  Would you happen to
know
if there is a max. size for a volume?  My one disk pool will be
several
hundred GB, but I didn't want to have too many volumes within it, but
maybe
it would be better to create about 100-50GB storage pool volumes for a
500GB random disk storage pool...

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

********************************
Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems
Work:(717)302-6603
Fax:(717)302-5974
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com
********************************

             "Lawrence Clark"
             <Larry_Clark@THRU
             WAY.STATE.NY.US>
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor
cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]
Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: Disk Pool Volume
Configuration

             08/17/2005 03:34
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

yes, you can have more than one tsm volume per physical volume.

the smaller the allocation, the more volumes, which gives to
flexibility to
assign them per the needs of the storage pool rather than simply give
two to each.

we just define them to a storage group per demand.

but once define and allocated to a storage pool, if you need to
adjust,
you have to remove it from the storage pool and
redefine / reformat to reallocate

>>> joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM 08/17/2005 3:27:57 PM >>>
Hello,

I have just added fibre channel disk to our one AIX server.  Here are
the
LUN's that were added to filesystem /tsmdev/stgpool1

CHRS044     /tsmdev/stgpool1

lun 175           100 GB
lun 178           100 GB
lun 181           100 GB
lun 184           100 GB
lun 187           100 GB
lun 190           100 GB
lun 193           100 GB
lun 199           100 GB
lun 204           100 GB
lun 210           100 GB

Total       1000 GB

What would be the best TSM volume configuration be?  I have 5
different
random disk storage pools where the data resides for 24 hours before
being
swept to tape.  Would I create 10 storage pool volumes and put the
appropriate number of volumes/storage pool?  Or can I have more than 1
TSM
volume per physical volume?

Thank you in advance!

I'm really trying to get the best performance and I'm hoping to
configure
this disk properly the first time.