ADSM-L

Re: Migration Speed Has Plummeted

2005-08-17 12:10:33
Subject: Re: Migration Speed Has Plummeted
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:09:54 -0400
Hi Andy,

I've changed the thresholds to hi=50 lo=40 for the larger disk pools that
are over 600GB.  I also empty them out once a day by changing the
thresholds to hi=0 lo=0.  My current problem is that the SATA disk isn't
reading fast enough and writing to our tapes quick enough.  I usually empty
out the stgpools to 0% every night for the client backups, and then copy
the disk to the offsite copy and then migrate the disk pools to the onsite
tape pool.  Lately, since I have added the extra SATA disk, I cannot get
the disk cleared off to tape.  I did add the volumes in 32 & 64GB volumes.
Should I recreate smaller disk pool volumes?  Is there a maximum size limit
for them?  I didn't find anything, but I'm thinking that I missed something
here.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!  Thanks!

********************************
Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems
Work:(717)302-6603
Fax:(717)302-5974
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com
********************************

             "Andrew Raibeck"
             <storman AT US DOT IBM.C
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: Migration Speed Has Plummeted

             08/17/2005 11:25
             AM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Hi Joni,

I notice your high migration threshold is 70 and low migration threshold
is 60. Such a narrow threshold width could cause problems, since migration
will taper off once the utilization drops below 60%. This means that more
than half the pool is left populated with otherwise migratable data. Maybe
those settings are transitory, and are changed later during your TSM daily
activity; or maybe they are deliberate... but I thought I'd ask.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2005-08-17
05:58:59:

> Hi Richard,
>
> My device class for the storage pools is DISK and I have read that it is
> better to use a device type of FILE when using ATA disk.  Is this true
and
> if so, how can I correct this?  Our disk is EMC ATA Raid-3.  We thought
> get cheap disk as a landing spot for our backups and then do a quick
sweep
> to tape, but I'm really hurting here and we also have a data center move
> coming up so this is crucial for that move.
>
> I have the caching of the migrated files turned off.   I believe that
this
> is the only place that caching comes into play with TSM?   I thank you
for
> your help and any suggestions!!!
>
>  Storage Pool Name                             ORACLE
>
>  Storage Pool Type                             PRIMARY
>
>  Device Class Name                             DISK
>
>  Estimated Capacity (MB)                       1032192.0
>
>  Pct Util                                      96.2
>
>  Pct Migr                                      96.2
>
>  Pct Logical                                   100.0
>
>  High Mig Pct                                  70
>
>  Low Mig Pct                                   60
>
>  Migration Processes                           3
>
>  Next Storage Pool                             TAPE_ORACLE
>
>  Maximum Size Threshold                        -
>
>  Access                                        READWRITE
>
>  Description                                   Oracle Disk Storage Pool
>
>  Overflow Location                             -
>
>  Cache Migrated Files?                         NO
>
>  Collocate?                                    -
>
>  Reclamation Threshold                         -
>
>  Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed               -
>
>  Delay Period for Volume Reuse                 -
>
>  Migration in Progress?                        YES
>
>  Amount Migrated (MB)                          -
>
>  Elapsed Migration Time (seconds)              143029
>
>  Reclamation in Progress?                      -
>
>  Volume Being Migrated/Reclaimed               -
>
>  Last Update Date/Time                         2005-08-16
20:30:16.000000