ADSM-L

Re: Image backup

2005-08-17 11:31:34
Subject: Re: Image backup
From: Pétur Eyþórsson <petur.e AT NYHERJI DOT IS>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:29:37 +0000
Nghiatd

The System Preparation Tool (Sysprep) is a Windows tool to automate the
successful deployment of Microsoft Windows. Sysprep is a tool that is
designed for system administrators, Original Equipment Manufacturers
(OEMs), and others who must automatically deploy the Windows operating
system on multiple computers. After you perform the initial setup steps on
a single computer, you can run the Sysprep tool to prepare the sample
computer for cloning or use it as a backup on static machines.

Here you can learn more about sysprep, but basicly it is just a microsoft
thing that has nothing what so ever to do with TSM.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/incremental/sysprep11.asp

when you talk about capacity of system drive is that the assigend capacity
or the data that you are using?. at least if you where to enter the
command prompt and run this command from the root "c:\"  dir /S you should
see how mutch data you have acculy in use on your system. and that data
should be somewhere around the bytes transfered from the tsm report. If
not, then your are missing a exclude somewhere  either in the dsm.opt file
or in the client options sets. You might alsow be getting failed backups
on some files.

But my guess it that this is not your problem. you might be geting errors
on some dll that are in use when you are running backups, either way there
is no way to tell unless we see more details on the error message you
recive when you try to open office.

Hope this helps

Kær kveðja / Best regards,
Pétur Eyþórsson  · Tæknilegur ráðgjafi eServer & Storage · Tivoli Advanced
Storage Solutons Techical Expert
 · MCSE · SNIA Professional  ·  SNIA FC-SAN Practitioner  ·  IBM C AIX S ·
TSM CP · TSRM CP · TASS DP · IBM SAN P
Sími/tel: +354 569-7700 · GSM: +354 863-0560
www.nyherji.is

nghiatd <nghiatd2 AT FPT.COM DOT VN>
17.08.2005 02:43
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] Image backup

Thank for your help,
I have some questions to you

critical machines, this is good for low profile machines, desktop machines
and static servers. but then again sysprep is better in solving that.

What is SYSPREP ?

I also implement BMR as "Disaster Rescovery Strategies" redbook guide.
Server : TSM 5.3 server
Client : TSM 5.3, OS : Win2k, database SQL2000, and some apllication

I full backup system drive (C:) and the other drives. Although, capacity
of
system drive is 4.8 GB, but when I full backup, I receive a report : "Byte
tranferred : 3.7 GB". I only exclude some files or directories as
Temporary
Internet Files, Recycled, Recycler.
When I finish restoring process, I boot machine again and start Microsoft
Office or Outlook, I always receive a requirement installing Office or
Outlook.
Therefore, I think the error causes above backup process.

Nghiatd,