ADSM-L

Re: Another backup set question

2005-08-16 11:42:16
Subject: Re: Another backup set question
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:42:02 -0500
Timothy,

If you generated the backup set on the same TSM server that you are now
trying to define it there is no need to do that.  The "define backupset"
command is used to define a backup set to a server other than where it
was created or to re-define the backup set on the original server if
that backup set has already been deleted.

Based on the error message you have included I would say you are trying
to define a backup set on the server where you created it and that
volume is already in use as a backup set.  You said you checked that the
tape was already in use, however I suspect that if you do a "q volh
t=backupset" you will see your volume is in fact in use.

I hope that clears it up for you.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE

Timothy Hughes wrote:

Hello all,

I generated a test backup set and I want to define it. When
I try to enter in the tape volume (c00253) the back up set is on I get
the following message.

ANR2405E DEFINE BACKUPSET: Volume C00253 is currently in use by clients
and/or data management operations.

I checked and the tape is not currently in use is the message referring
to the
back up set itself can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

TSM client level 5.2.3