ADSM-L

Re: Archive Verification

2005-08-12 12:46:21
Subject: Re: Archive Verification
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:46:04 -0400
We use 3590's and LTO, with copies onsite and offsite.
So I don't worry about the reliability of the tape so much as I worry
about damage due to bad handling.
And I get nervous about the microcode of old tapes being too different
from new tapes/drives - which is probably an unnecessary worry, but I'm
paranoid that way.

So I have a perl script that runs over the weekend and looks for any
tapes that are over 2 years old.
Any that it finds, it issues a MOVE DATA   xxxxx reconstruct=yes.

That means all my tapes, onsite and offsite, are less than 2 years old;
no tape has been offsite more than 2 years.

It's an automated, low-overhead way of making sure the tapes turnover.
That was the best plan I could come up with.