ADSM-L

Re: dsmerror.log and dsmsched.log changes in 5.3 windows client

2005-08-11 10:54:19
Subject: Re: dsmerror.log and dsmsched.log changes in 5.3 windows client
From: "Rushforth, Tim" <TRushforth AT WINNIPEG DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:53:59 -0500
OK, this is a MS bug, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830885/

Fixed in SP1.

  _____

From: Rushforth, Tim
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 4:39 PM
To: ADSM-L (ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU)

We have our Windows clients run a postschedulecmd that ftp the client's
dsmerror.log and dsmsched.log to a central location.

We've just noticed some of the Windows 2003 clients at level 5.3.05 are
failing to ftp the files (we get error "dsmerror.log:No such device or
address").

If we stop the TSM Client Schedule Service (and maybe the Client
Acceptor) then we are able to transfer the files via ftp.

It appears that the 5.3 client on Windows 2003 keeps these files open
when the services above are running.  We can copy them when the services
are running using windows copy but cannot ftp them using windows ftp.

We have two Windows 2003 clients at 5.3.05 that are able to ftp the
files and about 4 that cannot at the moment.  We are trying to see the
differences between these servers but have not been able to figure it
out yet.  It nearly seems at this time that perhaps some hotfix isn't
allowing windows ftp to put a file that is open!

We are wondering if anyone has any insight to this.

Thanks,

Tim Rushforth

City of Winnipeg