ADSM-L

Re: No Multi-session restore after multi session backup

2005-08-09 11:24:36
Subject: Re: No Multi-session restore after multi session backup
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 10:24:19 -0500
Thomas,

My guess is that you are not doing a "No Query Restore" (NQR).  The only
way TSM will do a multisession restore is if you are doing a NQR.  And
the trick with this is that it mus be an unrestricted wild card
specification on the restore command.  If you look in the client
reference guide it describes what a NQR is and is not.  Below is a part
of the reference guide:

When you enter an unrestricted wildcard source file specification on the
restore command and do not specify any of the options: inactive, latest,
pick, fromdate, or todate, the client uses a different method for
restoring files and directories from the server. This method is called
no query restore because instead of querying the server for each object
to be restored, a single restore request is sent to the server. In this
case, the server returns the files and directories to the client without
further action by the client. The client merely accepts the data coming
from the server and restores it to the destination named on the restore
command.

An example of an unrestricted wildcard file specification would be:

/home/mydocs/2004/*

An example of a restricted wildcard file specification would be:

/home/mydocs/2004/sales.*

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE

Thomas Rupp wrote:

Hi *SM-ers,

TSM Server: 5.2.6.0
TSM Client: 5.3.0.0 on Windows 2003

I backup a Directory with 2 Files each 5GB in size in parallel to two
tape drives.
When I do a restore via GUI one session starts and restores file 1. When
the file
is restored and the tape drive goes idle a second session is started and
retrieves
file 2 from the other tape.
I've followed technote 1109935 regarding "multi-session restore".
Shouldn't TSM start both restore sessions at once?

I checked the setting of the RESOURCEUTILIZATION (10), the MAXNUMMP (2),
that the files are on separate tapes and don't span tapes.

I would greatly appreciate any hints so make me understand why TSM
doesn't
do what I want it to do.

Thanks in advance
Thomas Rupp