ADSM-L

Re: Technote 1200328

2005-08-08 16:15:44
Subject: Re: Technote 1200328
From: Troy Frank <Troy.Frank AT UWMF.WISC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 15:14:35 -0500
You actually cannot restore any kind of Traditional Volume files to NSS
(compressed or not).  Even when going from TV's to TV's, or NSS to NSS, if the
source volume was compressed, the target volume also has to be compressed.
There is not, unfortunately, any TSM way to uncompress the files as you restore
them.

Be careful to apply all NSS patches to the servers before attempting to copy
the TV files to NSS also.  There have been some bugs in the past that would
cause data corruption during moves across different volume types.

Troy Frank
Network Services
University of Wisconsin Medical Foundation
608.829.5384

>>> Deborah_Bassler AT PAPAJOHNS DOT COM 8/8/2005 1:56:51 PM >>>
Over Labor Day weekend, we are going to upgrade the Netware OS on one of
our servers. This is a critical server, and there is 280G of data. In the
event a restore is necessary, you can see my concern. At 6G an hour, it
will take approx 47 hours to restore (there will be a 100Gb ethernet card,
so it may not take quite 47 hours, but it will still take a while).
Between now and then I'm trying to get some disk space to put all the
backed up data to disk then try testing different restore senarios to a
test server, i.e. restore the directories first.

I don't know if anyone has Novell experience, my expertise are in unix,
but I'm told you cannot restore compressed files from a traditional drive
to nss drives. We have to allocate space for traditional drives on the
server, restore to the traditional drives, uncompress the files, then copy
them to the nss drives (We're trying to get off the traditional drives). I
don't think there is, but does anyone know if there is an option in TSM
that will let us uncompress files when we restore them if they were
compressed before they were backed up?

Also, does anyone have an idea about the speed for a normal restore on a
Novell box using a 100Gb ethernet card?

Thanks for the advice below,,,I am going to try the suggestion when
testing my restore.

Debbie

Maurice van 't Loo < tsm AT COMPARECOMPUTERS DOT NL >
Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" < ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU >
08/04/2005 09:57 AM