ADSM-L

Re: High and Low Migration Percentage

2005-08-05 14:26:55
Subject: Re: High and Low Migration Percentage
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 14:26:14 -0400
On Aug 5, 2005, at 2:05 PM, Andrew Carlson wrote:

I am wondering why TSM goes by Pct Migr rather than Pct Util to
decide when to migrate the storage pool.  We are fairly disk
constrained right now.  A couple of times a week, large database is
backed up, that keeps Pct Migr and Pct Util far apart.  The storage
pool fills up, but migration has not kicked in because Pct Migr is
30% to 40% lower than Pct Util.  I could adjust my levels, but it
doesn't make sense for TSM to let the storage pool fill up.  Thanks.

Andy -

Pct Migr is distinct from Pct Util because the former reflects truly
eligible data, which is to say *committed* files, a contrasted with
space further occupied by data which is in flight per a transaction
which is in progress. Disk space needs to be sufficiently capacious
to accommodate the reality of the data operations.

  Richard Sims