ADSM-L

Re: Cancel Session

2005-08-03 00:49:05
Subject: Re: Cancel Session
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 23:48:51 -0500
I have a different strategy. I use the simplest, fastest SELECT
statements that can get the raw information out of the TSM database,
then move the individual tables as far away from the production TSM
server as possible to another computer. There I use my analysis and
reporting tool (SAS, SPSS, gnuS, something your brother in law wrote in
Lisp, choose your favorite) to do all those nasty joins and make
everything look nice. If my analysis does something awful such as
attempt something that will never end or divide by zero (Who, me? A bug
in a program?) it doesn't affect TSM production use.

Scripts on the analysis machine fetch the tables using the dsmadmc
command, so moving the data around is very little hassle. The idea is to
minimize the effect your monitoring and analysis activities have on
production use of the server for backing up and restoring files.

=Four-wheel-drive just means getting stuck in more inaccessible places.=