ADSM-L

Re: Backup strategy for Lotus Domino

2005-07-29 22:27:48
Subject: Re: Backup strategy for Lotus Domino
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:27:31 +1000
Hi Nicholas,

It depends on the requirement.  Is it to be able to reproduce a database at
any point in the last five years, or to be able to produce a point-in-time
copy at some point near to the desired time?  If its "near to" they want,
what is the granularity needed?

To be able to do the point in time you will need to keep all of the weekly
backps and all of the incremetals and all of the transaction logs.  Thats
190GB * 52 * 5 = 50 TB in weeklies alone, let alone all the rest and with no
allowance for growth.  The alternative is to run a separate periodic cycle
(possibly monthly or bi-monthly).  This could be to another TSM node as a
domino backup with all the extra baggage that entails, or it could be an
archive of the domino data from the OS client - this has implications for
open files and may require you to shut down domino while the backup happens
to ensure a clean one - however it is more flexible in that you could keep,
say, weekly backups for six months and the first one of every month for the
full five years or some similar scheme.

Realistically though I doubt that you will ever do a restore.  This sounds
like either a dumb legal requirement or someone intent on *ss-covering
without thought to cost or practicality.  Cost it in full, don't skimp or
economise in your calculations, and don't forget the administrative
overhead, then let management decide if it is worth it to them. Oh, and
build in some fat so that when they come back and ask you to reconsider
because its too expensive, you can give them a 10% reduction fairly easily.

Regards

Steve.

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin.