ADSM-L

volume history retention

2005-07-20 15:22:48
Subject: volume history retention
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:22:17 -0400
Hello,

I was wondering when most sites do a delete volume history to clean out
your volume history file?   I only keep backupsets for 30 days and I can't
think of anything else that I may need to keep this info. for more than 35
days.  I just thought I would get a consensus of a general idea of when
most people run this command.  Thanks!

Here is what I would like to run on a new TSM instance, but I thought I
would ask first.  When you delete the volume history for more than 35 days
it only deletes the information for the tapes that are no longer in use,
right?  Or does it delete all info. on tapes before that date?  And when
would I need the info. for longer than that?  Thanks in advance!
DEL VOLH TOD=TODAY-35 TYPE=ALL

Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems