ADSM-L

Re: Retention Request Problem

2005-07-16 15:59:25
Subject: Re: Retention Request Problem
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:59:04 -0400
==> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:30:28 -0500, "Miller, Ryan" <Miller.Ryan AT
PRINCIPAL DOT COM> said:

> This will not produce the desired outcome from the request.  We have used
> this option when it is appropriate, but all this produces is a TSM server
> archive of the client, in other words, all you end up with is what the
> client looked like at the last backup (a backupset only copies over the
> active files).

Mm, makes sense; in which case, it might be simplest to generate a new TSM
server instance, set up server-to-server communications, and EXPORT NODE
TOSERVER.

If you do it that way you could minimize your ongoing e.g. database load by
just turning the retention server entirely off when it's not needed.  It would
also simplify your policy setup: If you have 'open registration' on on the
retention server, pointed at a domain with one mgmtclass, whose retention
characteristics are all ludicrous... :)

Once the node is exported, you can rename it to something date- or occurence-
related, and even (oh joy) have several copies in cold storage from different
epochs.

- Allen S. Rout