ADSM-L

Re: Backup/Restore Questions

2005-07-15 10:43:12
Subject: Re: Backup/Restore Questions
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 10:42:43 -0400
On Jul 15, 2005, at 9:31 AM, Debbie Bassler wrote:

How  does TSM gather data to do a backup? I thought when a backup
started,
TSM made a list of files to backup and backed up only those files.

The TSM Concepts redbook is a good general reference for the
product's approaches to backup and restoral.

Incremental backup is a comparative operation.  When an unqualified
("full") Incremental backup begins, it queries the TSM server for a
list of the filespace's currently stored versions of Active files.
The client sorts that list, and then begins the laborious and time-
consuming traversal of the file system, comparing the contents of
directories against the contents of the list in order to identify
backup candidates.  File systems are commonly in transition during
backups, with files coming and going.  TSM attempts to back up any
new files.  The client manual goes into details about candidacy.

My 2nd question is - if I cancel this backup, can I restore some files
that it has backed up?

Certainly, any file which made it to TSM server storage can then be
restored.  A consideration, however, is that file system files may be
interrelated and, for consistency, may need to be restored as a set,
so would need to have been backed up as a set.

   Richard Sims