ADSM-L

Re: LTO bad performance on backup stgpool

2005-07-13 09:53:35
Subject: Re: LTO bad performance on backup stgpool
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:52:51 -0400
I can answer one of your questions easily.  Yes, the "many small files"
does affect backup stg pool, and all TSM data movements.  It will
definitely be slower to move 1000  300byte files than one 300K file
for instance.  Certainly with LTO drives, that's what I have.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5509
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> Matthew.Warren AT POWERGEN.CO DOT UK 07/13/05 9:26 AM >>>
Hi *SM'ers

I am looking into why our LTO1 / LTO2 performance is so terrible (<50%
rated throughput on avg) during backup stgpools.

TSM 5.2.4
AIX 5.2
IBM 3584 library
LTO1 and LTO2 drives.

The drives hit their rated throughputs during LANFree backup.

We have 2 sites with the same devices, 3584 library with 12 LTO1 and 12
LTO2. Each site manages and clients to the others library, so siteA's
copypools reside on volumes in the library  managed by siteB and vice
versa.

We have 600MB/sec full duplex fibre connections between the two sites.
This should cope with both sites using 6LTO1 and 6LTO2 to send copypool
data to the alternate site at the same time. Max throughput from the
drives shouldn't  be more than around 550MB/sec

During backup stgpools, I am told we are throwing approx 250-300MB/sec
over the inter-site-link for the SAN. The drives at both sites appear to
run at less than half the rated throughput.

I have so far looked at movebatch and movesize, set to 1000 and 2048
currently. Performance under unix shows normal amounts of
idle/user/cpu/iowait. Database cache hit% is 99.99 on a 120GB database.
There is no log wait %.

....Does anyone have any pointers as to what to look through next? (I'm
looking for quick wins;  any very-in-depth investigations will require
my borrowing a unix resource, and is complicated by the fact we have no
test environment)

One thing I am not sure of, are tsm internal data movements affected by
the many-small-files scenario, or does this mainly impact dsmc backups?
Some of the pools being copied hold millions of tiny files (300Bytes on
avg) but not all pools.

Thanks,
Matt.

Matthew.warren AT powergen.co DOT uk
Matthew_j_warren AT hotmail DOT com
http://tsmwiki.com/tsmwiki/MatthewWarren

This message and any attachments are confidential and should only be read by
those to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact us, delete the message from your computer and destroy any copies. Any
distribution or copying without our prior permission is prohibited.

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore Powergen Retail
Limited does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is
responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the contents. Any
views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of Powergen Retail Limited.

Powergen Retail Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the sale and service of general insurance products.

Registered addresses:

Powergen Retail Limited, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4
8LG.
Registered in England and Wales No: 3407430

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged
information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message
in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it
from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message
if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in this message
are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of
a particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by
the entity to give such views or opinions.