ADSM-L

DOMDSMC TDP for Domino on Solaris error - resolved

2005-07-13 09:28:30
Subject: DOMDSMC TDP for Domino on Solaris error - resolved
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:27:18 -0400
We seem to have resolved this issue.

It seems the problem was multi-faceted.

First, yes it was a permissions issue with the log files. The directory
dsm.sys was pointing, was not accessible by the Domino application/user.

Second, it seems the TDP install/configuration process changed the DSM.SYS
file from a link (to the correct one in /usr/bin) to a regular file. So,
all the changes I was making, were being ignored.

Third, the installation instructions need work. Nowhere (at least we
havent found it) do the instructions say that the contents of the
DSM.SYS.ADDITIONS and DSM.SYS.CHANGED_???? files are supposed to be put
into the main, live DSM.SYS file.

Now I need to get to configuration, since there are 6-Domino partitions on
this system and I figure they will be sharing the same DSM.SYS.

Also, the performance is pretty bad. Once I got it to stop erroring, the
"Querying Domino for a list of databases" process takes 3-HOURS (i've done
it twice and was watching both times) before it actually starts to backup
anything. There are only 3,130 databases for this partition.

It took 5 hours to backup one partition, with 44GB being transfered. With
6-partitions per machine and 4-machines to backup, I can't see how the
backups will be done within 24-hours.

I am open for any suggestions on how to improve backup times (yes, I have
tried maxing the /BUFF= values but I think this only improves the actual
backup data transfer process).

Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
07/08/2005 03:35 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] DOMDSMC TDP for Domino on Solaris error

See IBM Technote 1171354, as the authoritative word on that detail.

Beyond that, I'd make sure that no portion of the path involves a
symbolic link.  I ran into that in a different client once.

    Richard Sims