ADSM-L

The Runaround (Port 1500 unavailable)

2005-07-12 17:59:35
Subject: The Runaround (Port 1500 unavailable)
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:58:47 -0700
I know I sent this last week and got a couple of responses. So far nobody
wants to own this as their issue. AIX support says it is in a LISTEN state
and is only being used by TSM so it's not their problem. TSM support has no
idea and says it is not their problem as far as they can tell and the
network folks here say it is not their problem because when trying to
connect they get "host not responding". So for now I'm stuck with a server
that will back up nothing because port 1500, even though supposedly
listening, is not taking connections.

I am on TSM 5.2.4.5 AIX 5.2 on an IBM H50. It is outside the firewall and
available to me via telnet and TSM 1581 fine. When 1500 is working I can
connect to it.  This server was shut down a week ago to move the system to a
different location within the computer room. It was connected to the same
switch port after the move. All of a sudden this phenomenon has happened
where you cannot connect to port 1500 from anywhere. I can't even run
dsmadmc from the TSM server to connect. If I shut down TSM and restart it,
it comes back for a couple of hours then stops responding even though a
netstat shows LISTEN. A shutdown and restart of TSM brings it back again. No
other programs are running on this server, it is only used for TSM.

So since I obviously can't keep shutting down TSM and restarting it just to
keep it active somehow I need to figure out what's the issue. I still have
an open case with TSM support but I haven't heard from them since last week.
Again, AIX support says there is not a problem and TSM support should handle
it. Has anyone out there seen anything like this before? I have been given
suggestions which so far have led to no clues. Am I missing something
obvious?

Thanks,

Geoff Gill

TSM Administrator

SAIC M/S-G1b

(858)826-4062

Email:  <mailto:geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com> geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com