ADSM-L

Re: tape issue

2005-07-08 16:48:15
Subject: Re: tape issue
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 16:48:04 -0400
That is correct.
You must first DELETE the DB backup (use DELETE VOLHISTORY)  before you
can reuse it.
BUT, TSM will not let you delete the most recent DB backup.

For reasons of recoverability.
(For example:  What if you started the DB backup, then discovered it
couldn't complete because the DB was corrupted?  You would have just
overwritten your only means of recovery!)

If you have any disk space available on your TSM server, I suggest you
do the DB backup to disk.
Keep 2-3 versions, as many as you have disk space for.

Automate the DELETE VOLHIST to delete the oldest one every day.
Then use a host command to copy the most recent one to your tape.
(Although it would certainly be better if you could swap between 2
tapes, just in case.)