ADSM-L

Re: Very slow restores (days), hours to locate files

2005-07-06 15:13:17
Subject: Re: Very slow restores (days), hours to locate files
From: Robin Sharpe <Robin_Sharpe AT BERLEX DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 15:12:17 -0400
Sorry about the omission, Rich.
These restores were started via the Windows GUI.  I believe they just
selected the C: drive and specified "Restore if newer" (an option which I
don't think is available via the command line!).  I believe this created a
No-Query Restore, because it did create a Restartable Restore.... AFAIK
there is a one-to-one correspondence (right?)

In the meantime, I checked the Technote...  Then, I checked my Activity Log
for the last 24 hours... and I found 33 LTO volumes that presented the
cartridge memory message!  So, now I have the smoking gun, and I suppose I
could do "move data" against those volumes, but I suspect there are many
more, and I would like to know what's causing the corruption and how to
prevent it!   If I don't hear anything from the group, I'll open a call
with Tivoli.

Thanks very much for the information!

-Robin

                      Richard Sims
                      <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
                      Sent by: "ADSM:  To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      Dist Stor        cc:
                      Manager"         Subject:
                      <[email protected]         Re: Very slow restores (days),
hours to locate files
                      T.EDU>

                      07/06/2005 10:30
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to "ADSM: Dist
                      Stor Manager"

Please, everyone, when posting questions about restorals, give
details about the manner in which the restoral was invoked so that we
can get a sense of what kind is involved (NQR, Classic) and what is
involved.

Now...  Robin, have a look at IBM Technote 1209563, which I ran
across in doing research yesterday.  I recall such long-duration-
restores in the past, and as I recall they have involved the factors
noted in the Technote.  LTO is also known for backhitch delays, so
that's another contributor in positioning on tape.

    Richard Sims