ADSM-L

library init problems

2005-07-01 19:28:47
Subject: library init problems
From: Alexander Lazarevich <alazarev AT ITG.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 18:28:13 -0500
TSM 5.1.9 on win2k server. Overland Neo 4100 with 2 x HP LTO-2 drives.

I recently had a drive failure in the 4100. In troublshooting the LTO-2
drives (using HP's HPTapePerf.exe), I installed windows drivers for them,
whereas TSM has been working perfectly without windows drivers for the
last 2.5 years because it was using the TSM drivers: adsmscsi.sys 5.1.6.8.
I think by installing those HP windows drivers, I've confused TSM so it's
stopped trying to use adsmscsi.sys, and now TSM is unable to initialize my
library:

07/01/2005 17:36:27 ANR8840E Unable to open device lb6.0.0.3 with error 2.

I'm certain it's not a hardware problem because HPTapePerf.exe can
read/write to the drives just perfectly, no problems whatsoever. It's just
TSM that can't init the library anymore.

So, some TSM device driver setting must be wrong, either for the drives,
or the library, or both. I use the TSM Management Console to change
settings, but all the settings look correct to me. Can some please confirm
I'm using correct settings:

Tivoli Storage Manager -> TSM Device Driver -> Reports -> Service Info ->
Properties ->

I can see the three devices (two drives, one library) but I'm not sure
which window those devices should appear in, the "Devices Controlled by
Native Device Drivers" or in the "Devices Controller by TSM Device
Driver"? I think it's the second one, but what's odd is I can only make
those devices appear in that window by clicking a checkbox that says
"Enable Windows 2000 and Optical Device Support", which seems wrong to me.

Anyway, I've tried running TSM with those devices in just about every
configuration, but still TSM cannot init the library. I've also tried
disabling the windows drive devices, and then run TSM, but that still
doesn't work. I don't know what to try next.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Alex