ADSM-L

Re: Script to cancel a process

2005-07-01 04:37:38
Subject: Re: Script to cancel a process
From: John Naylor <John.Naylor AT SCOTTISH-SOUTHERN.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 09:37:01 +0100
Richard,
Thanks, I kinda thought that was the case.
Its a shame though,  it can't all be done via TSM scripts.
John

Richard Sims <rbs AT bu DOT edu>
Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>
30/06/2005 17:41
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>

ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu
cc

Subject
Re: Script to cancel a process

John -

The formatted nature of Select output and lack of inherent
connectivity to system commands processing thwarts taking that route.
I think the closest you could get that way is via
   select 'cancel process ' as "             ", process_num from
processes' > some_file
which yields like:

                     PROCESS_NUM
---------------     -----------
cancel process              174

One alternative is to take the approach of denying the process what
it needs to continue, as in temporarily rendering the output storage
pool Readonly, until the backup transitions to the next file and
cannot continue. A bit draconian.

The best approach is to have such control externalized via a dsmadmc
mechanism, as programmed into a Perl script, for example.

    Richard Sims

On Jun 30, 2005, at 10:58 AM, John Naylor wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to write  a script that picks up a process number and then
> cancels the process/
> I cannot get the varable process number into the cancel.
> Is this possible?
> If it is what do I need to do ?
> The script so far is
> SELECT PROCESS_NUM FROM PROCESSES -
> WHERE UPPER(PROCESS)='BACKUP STORAGE POOL'
> IF (OK) GOTO CANPRO
> EXIT
> CANPRO: CAN PR
> EXIT

The information in this E-Mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It may not represent the views of Scottish and Southern
Energy Group.
It is intended solely for the addressees. Access to this E-Mail by
any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted
Any unauthorised recipient should advise the sender immediately of
the error in transmission. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this
email (or any attachments to it) is not an offer capable of acceptance
or acceptance of an offer and it does not form part of a binding
contractual agreement.

Scottish Hydro-Electric, Southern Electric, SWALEC, S+S and SSE
Power Distribution are trading names of the Scottish and Southern Energy Group.